Upon successful completion of the Master's program in Medical Informatics, the academic degree of Master of Science (M.Sc.) is conferred*.
* Subject to accreditation by AQ Austria
After international review in summer 2020, the European Federation of Medical Informatics has granted the EFMI accreditation to the UMIT’s programme “Master’s degree in Medical Informatics” for a duration of 3 years (2021 - 2024).
Number of participants
A maximum of 30 students per year will be admitted.
Admission requirements for the Master's program in Medical Informatics are the general or the special university entrance qualification as well as
- a completed university degree (at least a bachelor's degree/university of applied sciences bachelor's degree or diploma) from a recognized domestic or foreign post-secondary educational institution in the field of medical informatics or informatics or equivalent studies, or
- a completed university degree (at least a bachelor's degree or diploma) from a recognized domestic or foreign post-secondary educational institution in an engineering or technical field (e.g. university degree in mechatronics, electrical engineering, biomedical engineering, business informatics), provided that the scope of courses in the field of informatics in the respective curriculum of the university degree comprises at least 30 ECTS credits and a supplementary examination in the field of practical informatics according to paragraph (4) has been positively completed, or
- a completed university degree (at least a bachelor's degree/university of applied sciences bachelor's degree or diploma degree) at a recognized domestic or foreign post-secondary educational institution from a natural science or economics subject area (e.g. Medicine, biostatistics, epidemiology, physics, biochemistry, biology, molecular biology, molecular medicine, psychology, business administration, international management), provided that in addition a postgraduate training or a postgraduate study of computer science, medical informatics or biomedical engineering amounting to at least 60 ECTS credits has been successfully completed at a recognized domestic or foreign post-secondary educational institution.
In order to equalize the entry level, the Board of Studies and Examinations reserves the right to impose supplementary examinations depending on prior qualifications.
An admission interview is conducted with each applicant, which serves to clarify previous experience, motivation and personal goals, as well as to get to know the applicant and to provide personal counseling.
* Subject to accreditation by AQ Austria.
Duration, ECTS credits and language
The program is set up as a consecutive Master's program over 4 semesters of regular full-time study. The workload of 120 ECTS-Credits is divided as follows:
- Compulsory modules: 65 ECTS-Credits
- Elective modules: 15 ECTS-Credits
- Practical module: 10 ECTS-Credits
- Final module (incl. final Master's thesis and final oral examination): 30 ECTS-Credits
The workload is equally distributed over the four semesters with 30 ECTS-Credits each. One ECTS-Credit corresponds to a workload of 25 hours.
The language of instruction in the Master's program in Medical Informatics is English and German.
The tuition fees of the Master's program in Medical Informatics amount to 490,- Euro per semester. Students of UMIT TIROL can apply for state study support.